Thursday, July 8, 2010

The past and the present combine again

Raise you hand if you liked the tripping back and forth in time with The Secret History of the Pink Carnation? OK, so I can only see two hands (my own and DH's), but they are waving enthusiastically! 
What? You didn't? 
OK, but you have heard of the Scarlet Pimpernel and all that mess in France. right? Well, the Pink Carnation took up where the Pimpernel stopped (due to the discovery of his identity). In the present there is a grad student finding decedents of the Pink Carnation with letters from and about that time (the past). 
I was rooting around in Audible.com when I stumble on TSHOFPC and used one of my credits on it. 
Later I found The Masque of the Black Tulip. Noticing it was by the same author, I had to use another credit to indulge myself in what I hoped would be a continuation of the story with it's fast pace and witty dialog. 
Pink carnation, I think, feminine and frilly. 
Black tulip, I think, dark and strong.
Will the story line be gloomier? Will the pace be slower?  And who the heck is the Black Tulip?
No. No. And you have to read it yourself to find out!
I will tell you that Kate Redding's narration is good on this one, although I did almost miss the transition from one time period to another a couple of times. 
(DH  wants me to find out if Lauren Willing has more...she does!)

No comments: