Friday, October 14, 2011


Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L.A. Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Narrated by Katherine Kellgren
PUBLISHER Listen & Live Audio

You grew up fast as an orphan in the streets of London. Being in a group of other kids helped all survive. That's how Mary "Jacky" Faber did it until it all fell apart. What was she going to do? If she survived until puperty, she knew she would probably end up as street walker which she knew was wrong. Ah, then she spotted a ship in the harbor looking for boys to serve. If she cut her hair, she could pass; she was sure of it! It must be remembered that young boys of 8 or 9 often were taken on board. That is how our "Mary" end up as "Jacky, ship's boy".

Now, we know this charade cannot go on forever! That's what the rest of the tale is all about; how she keeps up her illusion, what it was like being a "ship's boy"; how she got "found out", etc.

I heartily recommend this book to both sexes who love the stories about the tall ships from 8 to 66 (hmmm, I know my mom would have liked this one as much as I, so I should make that last number 92).

I must thank Audible.com for exposing me to this story when they had a lovely sale of so many series "first".

No comments: