Wednesday, September 16, 2009

UPDATE: Book Review: Close Encounters of the Third Grade Kind by Phillip Done

Thanks to Hachette Book Group, I get to review Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind" by Phillip Done. The following is their description of the book:

A twenty-year veteran of the classroom, elementary school teacher Phillip Done takes readers through a lively and hilarious year in the classroom. Starting with the relative calm before the storm of buying school supplies and posting class lists, he shares the distinct personalities of grades K-4, what he learned from two professional trick or treating 8-year-old boys, the art of learning cursive and letter-writing, how kindergartners try to trap leprechauns, and what every child should experience before he or she grows up.

These charming, sweet, and funny tales of Mr. Done's trials and triumphs as an award-winning schoolteacher will touch readers' hearts and remind them of the true joys of childhood. We all have that one special, favorite grade school teacher whom we fondly remember throughout our adult lives - and every teacher also has students whom they will never forget. This is the perfect book for teachers, parents, and anyone else who is looking for a lighthearted, nostalgic read.

My thoughts:

After reading a Gothic, ghostly tale and two Civil War themed books, i was having much trouble getting into a A Separate Country, another book stemming from the Civil War. That was when I picked up "Close Encounters of the Third Grade Kind" by Phillip Done.


What a joyous read for anyone who can remember being a third grader, parents of a third grader, teachers, would be teachers ….oh, just anyone who enjoys young kids. I think it was Bennet Surf that wrote the book "Never Get Personal with a Chicken" (WRONG: Don't Get Perconal with a Chicken by H. Allen Smith) who first taught me the joys of the minds of young ones. Mr. Done has done a grand job continuing that legacy. What a grand teacher he must be! I would wish him on every third grader!


I am so glad i got to read this book for all the joy it gave me. I feel lighter than air and ready to hug all teachers and read to a bunch of little kids one of my favorite children's books.

1 comment:

Pam said...

This sounds like a fun book. As a former teacher, I am sure I could relate to this one.