Saturday, August 28, 2010

Beyond the Highland Mist

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, Book 1)

I could not help but think of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream as fairies became involved in the lives to men.

We have Hawk, known as the King's Whore, of  Scotland. As befits a hero, he is tall, dark, and handsome. He's excells in battle and bedrooms but no woman has captured his heart.

We have the beautiful Adrienne, a woman of our time; outspoken, independent, and strong willed. Her heart was freely given to a handsome, irresistible man whose abuse so scared her heart that she has swore off handsome, smooth talking, irresistibly men forever.

This pairing is made possible by jealous, angry fairy as Adrienne is transported back to 16th century.

Now we all know fairies must be defeated (it's in the fairy vs mankind rule book). The question is how much mischief will they concoct and how will our hero capture the elusive heart of the fair maiden?

This unabridged fun by Karen Marie Moning was well read by Phil Gigante as I did my mundane duties. (O, and it much easier to understand the Mr. Shakespeare she giggles as she exits stage right.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to get my hands on book six of this series. I'm on the waiting list at our library for the audio book. I LOVE Phil Gigante as the narrator!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

i couldn't believe it when i discovered i had not posted my review! bad sandy!

Grace @ Sandier Pastures said...

I'm intrigued by the story through your review. Makes me want to go find the book now! :-)