Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Did you understand

what I was talking about when I mentioned "colonoscopy"? It is a test that checks the colon for polyps or other signs of cancer. After a certain age, I think it is 55, it is recommended that you take this test. DH and I took our first. They found and removed polyps from both of us. We were told to return for testing in 3 years. We were also told that we would probably never get cancer. Why? Because we got checked out. We returned after three years. This time, I had none, so I don't have to go back for 5 years. DH had one polyp so he has to go back in 3 years. Why? Because we continue to get checked out.

It's not the test that backs most people off. It's the prep work. You have to have a clean bowel. That means you have to take stuff to clean it out. That is the bad part. The test, it's a piece of cake. They lightly put you to sleep, you wake up, it's all over.

So I ask you, to prevent cancer of the bowel, can you go through a day of cleaning out you bowel worth preventing cancer? I sure do. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what my step mom when through.

As my dad always said, "Preventative medicine is a good thing!" If you won't listen to me, listen to my dad.

1 comment:

Lori Johnston said...

Very important topic, Sandy.

Because of colon cancer in my immediate family, I had to start testing this year (at 40).

The prep is horrible, to put it lightly. It is absolutely the worst part. However, it makes the actual test a walk in the park. I didn't feel or remember a thing.

Much, much better to be checked out and, if applicable, find out early and TREAT early rather than the alternative.